Friday, May 9, 2008

Talai's Tributary on My Parkinson's Information

Being real is part of having Parkinson’s disease, at least that’s what I believe. If every person with Parkinson’s disease ran around saying everything was rosy then they would be robbing themselves and others of phenomenal learning experiences. I’ll never forget the suffering that existed in my family when my grandma slowly but surely faded into the next life. It was a difficult time, but it was a very important time as well. I saw my family become much closer and we seemed to enjoy our time together much more. Although my grandma’s passing was difficult it was an important growing and learning opportunity for my family.

Opposition and trials are very important for our personal growth, as we find strength during the hard times in life we learn to appreciate the more important things in life. I think we can all name some things in our life that were absolutely difficult, but I’m guessing they are some of the greatest experiences in our life. When I’m talking to some of my friends about these experiences I can talk their ear off about how much I’ve grown and learned because of those difficult times.

I’ve come to learn that one of the greatest ways to overcome the difficult times in our lives is through friends. One of the hardest things for me is admitting that I am having a hard time and that I just need somebody to talk to (wow, I’m surprised how difficult for me that was to write)–I’m guessing that it’s the same way for others. It’s so important to have a friend that can pull you aside from the everyday crowd, look you in the eyes, and ask you how you are really doing. I read a quote about a year ago that has had a profound effect upon me ever since.

“A friend is one to whom you can pour out the contents of your heart, chaff and grain alike. Knowing that the gentlest of hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.” -Anonymous

I’ve also learned that in order to have those kind of friends you have to be that kind of a friend. I think I first learned the importance of being a friend when I attended middle school with my older sister. My sister was a pretty popular girl and I remember trying to figure out why she was so popular, was it because she was gorgeous or had an amazing smile? I’m sure that helped, but I think the thing that made people want to be around her was how friendly she was (in fact she was voted “Friendliest” in middle school). I loved watching her interact with friends and strangers alike, she just treated them the same way smiling, laughing, and hugging them. She helped me understand how I can be a better friend.

I think I’ve rambled a little bit, but I simply wanted to point out the importance of being real by embracing and working through real hard times, letting yourself (and others) really grow, and having/being a real friend.

www.myparkinsonsinformation.com

2 comments:

Talai said...

Caleb, you could tell that post was right from the heart. I agree with you, it is hard to admit you are having a hard time, but we can become so much stronger when we choose to learn from those times (as I have seen you do). Thanks for giving me more props then I deserve. That was very sweet of you. I love you!

Jami Jackson said...

Oh Caleb! What an awesome post. I have to say that you are definitely one of those friends anyone can count on. Every time I hear from Grandma Hancey or read one of her letters, she always mentions--with a little quiver in her voice--that she really enjoys your Sunday phone calls. It makes her feel so loved and cared for. Sometimes I feel like your phone call is enough, but why don't I call her too once in a while? There is so much I need to work on as far as being a good friend . . . and sister, and daughter, wife, mother and so on and so on. Your post really made me think about things . . . Thanks Caleb!