Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Tribute to Mom!

Lately I've been thinking about motherhood and how it's so much more than just being pregnant, giving birth, naming your child, and calling the child your own. Motherhood is such an emotional, physical, and spiritual journey. As I've been pondering some thoughts on this subject, my mind always wanders to our dear sweet Mother--the one who carried us for 9 months (8 months for Dallan), somehow pushed us out of her small body (without pain killers with Talai), named each of us (Tanner was nameless for a while), and called us her own.

Now, we all know that Mom didn't stop there. She has spent ALL her life devoted to us--her 8 children. She cleaned, cooked, washed our clothes, bathed us, did the girl's hair, made us clothes (I'm still amazed every time I look at holiday pictures where we're all matching and us girls have our hair done perfectly), planned FHE, carried out family prayer and scripture study, drove us around everywhere, helped plan awesome family vacations, canned food storage (I can still smell the tomatoes cooking), did (and does) a paper route to pay for soccer teams and dance classes, did her church calling, supported Dad in his church duties and career, moved out of and across the country, and, for the sake of younger me, she always made the perfect lettuce and mayo sandwiches. And all the while, she's always stayed beautiful--inside and out.

So, since Mother's Day is coming up, here's to you Mom! Hip Hip Hooray for all you did and still do for us. We love and appreciate you! (Don't worry Dad--your tribute will come shortly)

Just the other week, Mom sent us this awesome children's book called "Knuffle Bunny". It's about a little girl named Trixie that loses her stuffed animal at the laundromat. Sydney can quote the whole book by herself. Thanks Mom for always thinking of us in WV and for sharing your joy of books with my children.

What has Mom done for you lately? (please share)

2 comments:

Talai said...

We got Knuffle Bunny too and we love it. I am sure Owen does too, as soon as open up a book Mom got him he goes quiet and listens and looks intently. I remember when Mom would make my dance dresses and I gave her so much grief (it's too loose, it's too tight, it's not enough skin). I don't know how she ever survived! Thank you Mom for putting up with me way back then. And, thank you for always remembering us every holiday.

Caleb Manscill said...

Moms, the mom who never stops loving, working, and making the most delectable food to eat and store in my empty, college refrigerator.