Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Tribute to Copper


As we all know, Princess Lacy Copper-Top has left us. After struggling with some health issues, mom and dad came to the conclusion that Copper wasn't the same dog she used to be and it was time to let her go. We all remember Copper as a faithful, vibrant, and playful dog. She wouldn't stop for anything. What I remember most about Copper is the way she took care of her puppies. Now that I am a mother, I can see why she was so protective over those little pups. She loved them and I bet it hurt her to see them all go. Thanks for your great example Copper! I'll always remember you! We'll see you in the next life . . .

Feel free to share some of your Copper stories and memories.

Jami

1 comment:

Jami Jackson said...

Copper was a great dog! I can remeber when we first got her when I was about 16 years old. I was looking in the classified section of the newspaper and I saw an add for lab puppies in Lehi. I showed dad and surprisingly he said lets go look at them. When we arrived at the place in Lehi there were about 4 or 5 black lab puppies and then there was Copper the only chocolate in the litter. I instintly feel in love with her at first site! I guess dad did too because he decided to buy her. When we brought her home in the van I held her on my lap the whole way home. When we got home we all decided to name her Copper. I don't think her official name (Princess Lacy Copper Top) became official until after she had her first litter of puppies.

Copper was always a trooper on the trails. Dad would take her on 20 mile runs in her younger days. I remeber on one occasion when I took her running on a trail in Provo Canyon. It was a hot day and she stayed right with me the whole way. At the end of the run I noticed that she wasn't walking straight that's when I realized she was suffering from heat stroke and so I took her down to the Provo river and put her in it. We sat in the river for about an hour. She was so weak from the effects of heat stroke that I had to lift her up into the back of the truck. She recovered quickly and still would go out running with us! In fact a week or so before she was put to sleep dad said he went out running one morning and then all of sudden he noticed Copper right by his side. Copper, despite being blind in one eye and deaf in one ear, picked up dad's sint and found him. She ran with him for a good part of the run. Afterwards she was so tired from the run that she could hardly move...she just laid out by the chickens all day and slept. She was a running dog even in her old age she liked to be out on the trails running. She was a great dog! It's too bad dogs don't live as long as people we would have loved have her around for another 12 years!!

Dallan